Sunday 2 February 2020

Skull Tales - A Woo Hoo!

I've carried on, as I said I would, with the Skull Tales miniatures this week, and have made a fair bit of Progress.  If I carry on at this rate I should have all the enemies completed by the end of next week, and be moving on to the Heroes.

Contrast paints, with some highlights and details have been my go-to again, and likely will be for the whole project to give it a cohesive look when I actually get around to playing the board game.

I'm very glad I've got around to purchasing some Dullcote, to give them some protection, both from figure cases and fingers.

Bounty Hunters
Starting with the Human foes, I wanted a bit of colour to the Bounty Hunters, so gave them the bright yellow shirts.  I'm still of two minds as to whether I should add in some red stripes too, but for now they are complete.

Next up are the Undead - which I'm sure will prove very useful in my 50 Fathoms game, there being a number of situations in which Zombie Pirates might well turn up.
Drowned Ones
The drowned ones are disgusting.  In a good way.  It wasn't until I was painting them that I discovered they have some barnacles clinging to them too, which is a really nice touch.

Mummies
The Mummies got a straightforward 'mostly bandages' paint job, with some purple to add an Imperial tone.  These might well get use in some 7TV pulp as well - as there are two matching ones, perhaps as extras to go with the Crooked Dice pulp villain that I really should get around to painting as well.

Skeletons
 Skeletal Conquistadors will fit right in to 50 Fathoms, and definitely provide a different kind of undead to the Tomb Kings that I've been 'borrowing' from my dearly beloved when I've needed them for RPG situations.  I really do need to get some Skeletons of my own at some point - weirdly they are one of the things I've never actually got hold of.  But as I'm trying to keep the 'acquired' pile down, such things can wait.

Mermaids

Beautiful but deadly, I resisted painting the Mermaids with red hair.  These ones at least - I do have some from Dead Earth Games' Pirates of the Dread Sea.  Somehow I doubt I'll be able to resist painting at least one 'little' mermaid.  
Treasure!
The last thing I managed to finish this week was another piece of Mantic Treasure - a lovely pile of Treasure chests - I've already got some individual ones that were painted a while ago, but these make for both a good objective, and some reasonable cover too.

So - next week, more Skull Tales, but I also want to dig through the unpainted pile and find at least one Vehicle.  I'm part of several wargaming groups on Facebook, and one has a monthly painting challenge.  I've not got involved in many, but I really should.  For February the challenge is Vehicles - so I'll also take a look next week and see what I can find that inspires me to have a go at later in the month.  I think that all the ships and boats I have at the moment are painted, so it'll be something definitely not Piratical.  At least in a Golden Age of Piracy way.

25 Models painted this week, so the running total is looking healthier, but I didn't manage as many as last week.  Not that it's a competition, though I'm ahead by almost 130, for now.

Running Totals

Painted: 185

Acquired: 56

1 comment: