Sunday 9 February 2020

All out of Enemies

I've finally completed all the enemy figures from Skull Tales - while I'm not done with the game, it feels good to say that this section of the painting is complete.

As it's the first full week of the month, I took a look at my work in progress pile to see if anything grabbed me, which really, it didn't.  I've been pushing on with the Skull Tales painting and really want to get it done, so while one or two things did say "paint me", they didn't say it very loud...
... though there were a couple of models sitting on my painting desk that I did get painted this week that aren't from Skull Tales, so maybe I can say I got into the WIP pile, at least a little.
Amazons
I found the Amazons difficult to do - there was a fair bit of bad moulding between the face and the spear that somewhat put me off the models. They were the last things painted this week, and I'm not too sure about them.  Still, they're perfectly usable, and from the distance they'll be looked at for gaming, are just fine.

Bootbiters

Whose boots they bite, I don't know, but whoever it is is probably going to need some new footware. The tentacles with the over-exaggerated suckers just made me thing of the Day of the Tentacle.  There was quite a bit of pondering about the suckers - but I did manage to resist painting them green.  Instead I did the suckers nice and bright, in homage to the Purple Tentacle, with the skin somewhat darker.

I feel like I could... like I could...
like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!

Ghosts

The Ghosts were kept deliberately simple, just a few details picked out so they weren't the same colour all over.  I might go back and do something different with the hair though.

Longshades
These put me in mind of the Hydra, I almost imagine that the flesh is re-knitting over the skeletal head.  No idea if that sort of thing happens in the game, but that's my thoughts.

Stranglers
Animated Seaweed.  Sort of a more nautical Swamp Thing.  With one or two of the heroes I have yet to paint being mystical types, I'm thinking I might be able to get a couple of 7tv casts out of this set.  Perhaps one of the Undead and another of summoned Sea creatures.  I've mostly made Heroic casts so far (even the Shiva cast that I took to Board in Brum last year were 'reskinned' as heroes) so perhaps it's time I turned to the dark side.

Tarantula Anansi

A bigger creature this time - the Tarantula Anansi is the only model on a 50mm base in the game - it'll also make a good Giant Spider to pit against my RPG groups.  After all, the best way to make things more deadly in an RPG is to make them bigger.  Or combine them with another animal in a strange way ... I do have an Owlbear to paint at some point, though that's far from the strangest combination old school D&D came up with.




I'd actually forgotten that I had some Sea token models, they were hidden away in the Skull Tales Box, but as I was looking through for painting inspiration, I heard the small box inside rattle, and lo and behold found some more things to paint. Something about the Megalodon makes me think it's just shouting "Hello".

This also means that I lied when I said I had all of my ships painted - so technically I've painted up six vehicles that could be entered into the monthly painting competition I mentioned last week.  I fully intend to get something else painted for that, however - but these will remain as a fallback should I need it.

Familiars
Finally, I painted a couple of Critit familiars that have been sitting on my painting desk for a while - the Octopus was painted at the same time as the Kraken, above, for what I hope are obvious reasons.  The Eagle, I grabbed as well, as it's the only other Familiar that I had left out to do, and I decided that covered me for at least a little 'work in progress'.  Technically they are Mrs. Hill's models, but I painted them so I'm going to claim them for my 'done' pile.

Next week I'll start on the Heroes, and might also get some paint onto something with wheels or tracks.  Or I might not.  If the weather continues like it has this weekend, storm Ciara is going to prevent me from getting any spray undercoats done anyway.

36 models completed this week, so I'm up 165 for the year to date.  I'm going to need a bigger cabinet.

Running Totals

Painted: 221

Acquired: 56

1 comment:

  1. I totally did not notice you stole that bird! And you did it right in front of my face too.... I am going senile!

    ReplyDelete