Friday 26 June 2020

Falling Behind...

Prompted by the arrival of a Kickstarter that's going to put the painting lead I'd built up back a rather long way, the camera's come out and the paintjobs of the last three weeks are here.

It's an eclectic mix of work in progress stuff, and a "why don't I do that?" project, along with a couple of the models that came in the Reaper lockdown bundle I got at the start of the month.

First up are some Oathmark Soldiers that have been knocking around for a while.  I've got several of the Oathmark Kits, and they're all full of character.  I'm told they're completely compatible with the Frostgrave kits too, which is unsurprising, but likely to be remarkably helpful.  I built one of these as a character model for an RPG, and he got painted straight away, but the rest of the sprue, plus the metal captain model have languished with just undercoat on them on my painting desk for a while.

Hi-res photography always shows up how dodgy my eye painting can be, but for tabletop play they'll be fine.  I was even mad enough to put magnets on the shields.

I think I'll do the next five with bows, when I get around to them.

Forwards men!

Next up some random Reaper Bones - these came with my lockdown survival kit.  Mrs H had some, and I took these.

This Way ...
Anyone who knows me well will know I have a weakness for Redheads, right Mrs. H?  So no surprises that this lady of *ahem* negotiable affections *ahem* was painted with a scarlet mane.  She's been based up to go with my Pirate collection, after all, Pirates need Wenches!


Strike a Pose!

And here's the creature from Devil Reef - it also seemed a sensible addition to the Pirate collection.  Once we're back gaming face to face, I'm sure it'll turn up in a roleplay session at some point.

It's Clobberin' Time.
I've had GW Orc armies before, and even though I've painted my Reaper goblins with 'traditional' GW style green skin, I just couldn't do it with this fellow.  So, Gryph-Hound Grey Contrast it was.  I rather like the Gray skin-tone, so when I get around to my other Reaper Orcs, I'll be doing them the same way.  I think the Oathmark Goblins I have may get even darker grey skin 'cause they look rather like Giaks from Lone Wolf, but I digress.

I've also painted a couple of Crooked Dice miniatures - I've been working through the Pulp Sci-Fi set released earlier in the year (or was it late last year? time is ... strange at the moment) Not-Flash and Not-Ming are still in progress, but I finished both Not-Barin's

A Secret Serviceman and a Man in Tights?


Both of them do a good job of reminding me of certain actors.  I'd really like some Not-Arborian guard with the same kind of jackets as these two. But I can wait.  It's not like I don't have a lot of stuff on my to-do pile!

I also finished a couple of scurvy swabs from my pirate collection - somehow these two got skipped when I painted up my Black Scorpion Elven Pirates.  No idea why, and they don't quite fit with the others as I've forgotten the recipe I used for the others. They're close enough though.

Back to Back they faced each other.

Last, but no means least, I've had these Reaper Nova Guard sitting in the blisters for a while, and they called out to me.  Liberal use of Orange Contrast to basecoat them made for easy, if somewhat slapdash work, but I now have some generic sci-fi soldiers to use as mooks in RPGs.  Once I get Zombicide Invader and Nemesis on the painting table (one day) I'll have plenty of gribblies as well.  I think I'm going to need some more clear bases though.

"I am in charge, and I say we go that way!"
So that's 32 models painted in the last three weeks or so.  Not my best effort, but by no means my worst.  And I'm on 377 models painted so far this year.

Now onto the kickstarter that arrived today ... Mantic's Terrain Crate.  Fortunately some of it belongs to Mrs. H - so I don't need to add the entire model count to my acquired total.  But there's still a lot.

Also, Father's day has happened, and Master H got me a couple of pirates.  Plus Mrs H did an order from Reaper to replace a dragon that our dog ate (yes, really!) and snuck in a couple of models for me too (thanks dear, no, really, I love the models, just not the addition to the pile!)

Sooo ... my acquired total goes up by ... 337.  Ulp!

And I still have several other miniatures-heavy kickstarters in various covid-related states of delay that will quite possibly be turning up over the next six months...

I'm still less than 100 behind at the moment though ... better get on with it!

Running Totals

Painted : 377

Acquired : 475

4 comments:

  1. These look great! The creature from Devils Reef is my favorite of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a part of me that wants a group of them so they look like they are doing synchronised swimming...

      Delete
  2. These are really inspiring. I don’t know how you do it so well. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practice! And really, I'm not the greatest painter. Competition wind are way out of my league, but I'm good enough for what I want, a d that's what matters!

      Delete