Monday 16 March 2020

Can I play with madness?

A day late this week.  While I had all my painting finished yesterday, I'd not got the bases sorted, so did that this evening before updating the blog.

I've made a proper start on the Investigators from Mansions of Madness, and have managed to get 12 of them done this week, plus a few other sundry bits and pieces from the 'work in progress' pile, along with one brand new arrival.  The first of my expected Kickstarter deliveries from last year has arrived ... so the acquired number will tick up again.

But first, onto the Mansions of Madness - I had a little trouble with some discolouration on the clear bases from the superglue I was using - I'm not really sure how to combat this other than try to use less superglue.  Still, I'm happy with the results I've got on some not-terribly well sculpted models.  The more recently produced models are much better than the older ones, and I feel I've done them more justice, but they're also a little smaller than I'm used to painting, and my eyes are getting old.  At least, that's my excuse.

Agatha Crane
Somehow she seems to be welcoming our new lords from the outer planes.  Well, she is a Parapsychologist.

Bob Jenkins
I'm not really sure what Bob is supposed to be holding in his hand.  I painted it silver as if it's some kind of goblet.

Carson Sinclair
The Butler, Carson.  Either his eyes are a little dark, or he's been chasing the dragon.  Possibly both.

Father Mateo
Father Mateo.  While I was painting this I couldn't get out of my head that I thought he looked like Benedict Cumberbatch.

Gloria Goldberg
Probably the best bit on Gloria is the portable typewriter she's carrying.  Unfortunately I didn't photograph her from an angle that shows it off.  Or in focus it would appear.  Maybe I'll update this picture at some point.

Harvey Walters
Harvey is one of the better sculpts (in my opinion) from the original set of investigators.  He also has the same name as the sample character showing the character generation in Call of Cthulhu 5th edition, which was the first edition I played.

Minh Thi Phan
I tried to do an Asian skin ton on Minh.  Not sure I got it right as Mrs. H. has dubbed her "The Simpson".  Still.  Mrs. H. hasn't painted anything for me to photograph to put on the blog yet, you know, just to show off her talents and all that.

Preston Fairmont
Preston's a fairly dour millionaire, in miniature form.  I couldn't get rid of the bumps on his cane either, not without risk of snapping it in two.

Rita Young
Rita is one of the few non-white investigators - I'm pretty sure in one of the novels linked to Arhkham Horror she's described as mulatto, so I tried to go for coffee-ish coloured skin.

Sister Mary
I will admit I didn't enjoy painting Sister Mary.  At Mrs. H's suggestion I painted on an Alice band to try to cover up the mould line that I just couldn't get rid of through her hair. Her eyes are sculpted rather bulging, somewhat Innsmouth-Looky.  And the model itself is hunched over.  While the character art makes her look about 20 ... the model itself comes over as a lot older.  Ah well.

Wendy Adams
Wendy I'm rather pleased with, however. She looks rather scared and waifish, which she's supposed to.

William Yorick
Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him Horatio ... There's a lovely fracture on the skull he's holding (it's not a mould line I missed, honest) so whoever died, it was violent.

That's 12 of the 30 done, 18 to go which I'm sure I'll manage over the next couple of weeks.  They'll also come in nicely as characters for 7TV Pulp - and as I've recently received a number of Mythos gribbly stat cards, the monsters will be able to play their part as well.

I also painted a few other bits and pieces this week though nothing particularly fancy.

Objective markers - Always useful.
Another 'thing from the work in progress pile' here - I had these rocks glued to bases sanded and undercoated, and just lying there, so I finished them off as objective markers.  As I was painting Mythos things, I gave three of them Mythos symbols - the Elder Sign, the Icon of Nytharthotep and the Yellow Sign.  The final cairn with a handle sticking out of it is clearly some kind of weapon to smite the Mythos - just to keep in theme.

Ooooh.  it's and Ooze.

I also painted this Ooze - It's not got a base because I just have no idea how to base it really.  It's cast in semi-transparent resin, so I've picked out the rocks, bones, and other bits and pieces.  I'm sure it'll eat an adventurer or two at some point.

I also said that I'd had a Kickstarter arrive - the Crooked Dice Pulp Sci-Fi Heroes and Villains plus a few extras (some of which were for Mrs H, fortunately) so I've got 24 models to add to the acquired count.

One of these will be taking the part of a Robot Sidekick to the Sci-Fi lizard I painted last week.

Long live Flash! You've saved your Earth!
Have a nice day!

And that's it for this week.  18 models Painted, 24 arrived, so a little in the red this week.  I'll try to get at least another 12 of the Investigators done, and see what else takes my fancy.

Running Totals

Painted: 310

Acquired: 89

4 comments:

  1. These all look great mate! Your blasting through your paint pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting there... I'm only ahead for now though... More kickstarters to come yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff! Harvey is my fav out of the models you've shown. Can't wait to see what you do with the Flash Gordon stuff from Crooked Dice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doc! :) I'm thinking that they'll get done when I've finished the investigators. Though not much painting has happened this week even though I've been confined to home as Mrs. H. is ill. It meant young Master H has also been confined to home a week before all the other schoolkids ... so no painting done.

      Delete