Saturday 11 January 2020

Staying just ahead of the game


I'm intending to update this Blog every Saturday - I didn't manage it last weekend as I was away at the Winter Stabcon - a bi-annual boardgames/rpg con in Stockport - there's even a bit of miniatures gaming goes on as well.  In fact, it's the place that I was introduced to 7tv 2nd Edition, from Crooked Dice, which has now become my go-to rules for skirmish gaming.

This week I stuck to my rules, and managed to accomplish a fair bit.

The various Reaper Bones Heroes that I was working on have been finished - and I now have 30 of them done.

Hopefully the photography will get better as I get used to my camera and the light box that Mrs. Hill gave me for Christmas.  I appear to have manage to paint the heroes in 'colour sets' of a sort - the first 10 tied together with Red. Not that this was in any way a conscious decision, it just happened to work out that way.

Though as I have another 30 or so heroes undercoated in my work in progress pile as I stuck them all to bases and sprayed at the same time, I may end up continuing this theme.  After all - Team Red outnumber all the others 2-1, and I can't have that.
Red Team 1
Red Team 2
Blue Team
Turquoise Team
Green and Yellow Team
Brown Team

I also went to the work in progress pile and found a load of Reaper Bones Goblins that I'd experimented on with Citadel Contrast paints.  It turns out the Contrast paints work very well over the bare white bonesium.  I doubt they'd do well over the newer Bones Black material without an undercoat - but these were all white so the contrast went straight on.

All that was left to do were the bases, so I did them at the same time as the Heroes, and got 45 of the little green meanies done.


 

The trays are Scenery Bases from Warbases - keeping the disorganised rabble in check a little.

Here are some close-ups of the Goblin Heroes (Villains?)




The last bit of painting I managed this week was actually just before Stabcon - I was running a Fantasy RPG session, and needed some "Shadow Panther Familiars" - as Mrs. Hill happened to have a couple of big cats from Critit so I 'borrowed' them and got them painted up.



This brings my painted total so far this year to a pretty reasonable 77 models.  Not bad, I reckon.

However, as I mentioned earlier we went to Stabcon, and this usually involves buying something from Fanboy 3 who always have a stall there.  Mrs. Hill and I rather enjoy Mansions of Madness, so got a new supplement - Path of the Serpent - which adds 12 miniatures to the number of Mansions of Madness minis I need to paint (not one done yet ...).  I also had a birthday, and a good friend got me some TT combat terrain (I love the smell of lasered MDF in the morning, smells like ... Scenery).


All told, I now have 56 more 'things to paint' than I did at the start of the year.  Still, I'm ahead by 21, so it can't be ALL bad.  And none of the Kickstarters I backed last year have arrived yet either ...

No idea what I'm going to paint this coming week - though I doubt I'll manage to finish off quite as many miniatures as I did this week.  I also need to work out how this blog thingy allows me to put down permanent links to other folks blogs, as there are several that were in part the inspiration for me doing this one, Cheaphammer!!! and Brummie's Wargaming Blog, I'm looking at you two in particular here!

Running Totals

Painted : 77
Acquired : 56

3 comments:

  1. Well done on getting out a regular post. I have been lacking of late. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like I got you all "inspired" babe lol, well done x

    ReplyDelete